I was reading a time management book The Time Trap by Alec Mackenzie and Pat Nickerson and I would like to share you with the following passage, a real story:
Andrea Cifor, Process Manager, sees youthful ambition through a sharp personal lens.
My father died when I was about eighteen. He always talked about aspiring to various things he looked forward to doing when he retired. Then he died, suddenly, three months before retirement – never having taken the opportunity to do those things at all.
That drove me to overachieving: I made sure I did everything I ever wanted to do, or else I worked full-tilt, toward achieving every goal. I never really slept much; this meant I had plenty of time to fill.
I set lofty goals for my life and I had hit them all by the age of forty …..
….a devastating car accident, may have been the best thing ever to happen to me. The accident aftermath put me in near-death situations a few times. What a catalyst for assessing the value of your life. I looked back on my accomplishments with no regrets: none!
….After the accident I had new breakthroughs to achieve. I was told that I would not walk again. Yet, I am walking again.
Now the thing that catches my attention here:
1. First paragraph is about not waiting until you ‘retire’ to do the things you want to do. If you want to try something “but”….., let’s forget about the “but” and do it anyway! In addition, spend some time to write down what you want to achieve and take action! Achieve it earlier rather than waiting until it is “too late”.
2. And by really trying very hard, Andrea has achieved all he wanted; and even though a devastating accident struck, he has no regrets in life. I read somewhere that most people actually think that ‘things’ won’t happen to them, it can only happen to somebody else. Of course nobody wants anything less-than-fortunate to happen, but while we cannot control that, what we can certainly do is to work on something that can help us achieve financial and time freedom. Have you thought about what you want to do to get financial and time freedom?
3. The last paragraph has something to do with the state of mind. We have read and heard countless stories about ‘miracles’ that defy scientific explanation, and there is a popular video “The Secret” (trailer here http://www.thesecret.tv/) that share with us all about this. If you haven’t watch it, go get it, it’s a great video. But to sum this up, you can achieve what you believe. So start thinking Big today, have Big dreams and Big ambition, and take action!
To quote the movie “The Secret”:
You are meant to have an amazing life!
And by believing in yourself and take action,
You will have an amazing life!
If you like this post, leave me a comment, “Like” it or “Share” it.
To get a copy of Time Trap or The Secret:
- Quote: Obstacles can’t stop you. Problems can’t stop you. Most of all, other people can’t stop you. ONLY YOU can stop you.
- Armless Pianist Liu Wei: "You either die or live life splendidly"
- Jeremy Lin’s Underdog to Linsanity – Got Lucky or Just Prepared?
- Once you say you’re going to settle for second, that’s what happens to you in life.
- How I Stopped "Waiting for Jack"