A boy in his early teens went to a telephone booth at the entrance to a store, dialed a number and he started to speak, with his hand partially over the phone in an attempt to muffle and change the tone of his voice. Whilst all this was happening the store-owner, who was working close by observed and listened with great interest to the conversation that followed:
Boy – ‘Lady, can you give me the job of cutting your lawn?’
Woman at the other end of the phone line – ‘I already have someone to cut my lawn.’
Boy – ‘Lady, I will cut your lawn for half the price charged by the person who cuts your lawn now.’
Woman – ‘I’m very satisfied with the person who is presently cutting my lawn.’
Boy,with more perseverance in his voice – ‘Lady, I’ll even sweep the floor and the stairs of your house for free.’
Woman – ‘No, thank you.’
With a smile on his face, the young boy thanked the lady and hung up the phone. The store-owner then walked over to the boy and asked.
‘Son . . . I like your attitude; I like that positive spirit and would like to offer you a job.’
The boy replied – ‘No thanks.’
The store-owner – ‘But you were really looking for a job weren’t you.’
The young boy replied – No sir, I was just checking on my performance at the job I already have. I am the one who is working for that lady I was talking to!’
This could be called the best form of ‘Self Appraisal’.
— Author Unknown
To receive future posts via Facebook, click this button
- Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great
If you like this post, leave me a comment, “Share” it or “Like” it at the bottom of the post
- Songs: FIFA World Cup 2010 Theme / Official Songs
- Quote: Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover
- 10 Important Don’ts
- What is the emotional drive behind your actions?
- What are the ‘big rocks’ in your life?