A boy in his early teens went to a telephone booth at the entrance to a store, dialed a number and he started to speak, with his hand partially over the phone in an attempt to muffle and change the tone of his voice. Whilst all this was happening the store-owner, who was working close by observed and listened with great interest to the conversation that followed:
Boy – ‘Lady, can you give me the job of cutting your lawn?’
Woman at the other end of the phone line – ‘I already have someone to cut my lawn.’
Boy – ‘Lady, I will cut your lawn for half the price charged by the person who cuts your lawn now.’
Woman – ‘I’m very satisfied with the person who is presently cutting my lawn.’
Boy,with more perseverance in his voice – ‘Lady, I’ll even sweep the floor and the stairs of your house for free.’
Woman – ‘No, thank you.’
With a smile on his face, the young boy thanked the lady and hung up the phone. The store-owner then walked over to the boy and asked.
‘Son . . . I like your attitude; I like that positive spirit and would like to offer you a job.’
The boy replied – ‘No thanks.’
The store-owner – ‘But you were really looking for a job weren’t you.’
The young boy replied – No sir, I was just checking on my performance at the job I already have. I am the one who is working for that lady I was talking to!’
This could be called the best form of ‘Self Appraisal’.
— Author Unknown
To receive future posts via Facebook, click this button
- Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great
If you like this post, leave me a comment, “Share” it or “Like” it at the bottom of the post
- Stories: Everything Happens For A Reason
- That’s All DETERMINATION
- Jeremy Lin’s Underdog to Linsanity – Got Lucky or Just Prepared?
- "You have to take the good with the bad, smile with the sad, love what you got, remember what you had, always forgive, but never forget, learn from your mistakes, but never regret, people change, things go wrong, but just remember life goes on."
- What We Believe Is Up To Us, What Others Believe About Us Is Up To Them